Thursday, June 3, 2010

How time flies!!!

well its been almost 14 months since the last time I logged on to this site. I was just about to delete the whole account but reading my previous post got me hooked right back in.
Fact is life has been super busy around here, with the kids and work and well you know how it is... just life altogether!!!

Not a whole lot has changed since I opened this account, the house got a new paint job and a few small repairs. My husband was laid off so pretty much it all came a stand still for a little while. Winters in northern Ontario are certainly harsh and long!! But all in all we had a pretty good winter this year.

now on to the new....

recently we decided its time to get back on track with what we wan to do around the house so we have started construction on the barn. We will be making room for 2 horse stalls of 10X10 sizes. we have also included an area for the chicken coop in the barn aswell. the run will be outside separated by fence from the dogs and the horse areas. The coop will have an entry door from inside the barn but fenced in order to keep the horse away from the chickens altogether.
We will be removing the ceiling to leave the rafters exposed so it will add height and character. I have spent so much time reading up an the construction and the way things need to be done that I can clearly picture what the barn will look like as soon as it is finished. I want the horse fence to be built using trees but haven't really set my heart on it yet. It is so much easier and faster to just use the Equine fencing  but the wood looks incredibly stunning when done correctly.
we also plan on finishing the kitchen and redoing the roofing and basement on the house before the end of summer, not sure where we will fit it in but it will get done.


In other news...recently I befriended one of my kids friends' parents. they seem to genuinely be exactly like my husband and I and we get along famously, our kids are the exact same ages so they all have someone to play with and seem to be entertained for hours on end with very minimal issues.

They too were working on a barn and the chicken coop, green house and house repairs. They also moved up here from a southern town to get away from the city...our kids even go to the same school and it seems our sense of humour and way of thinking go hand in hand.
They needed a hand in working in their barn and had to quickly get it done, when given the reasons it made perfect sense as to why they needed to do a hurry job on their barn and fence, my husband and I volunteered our help in order to get it all done and get their horse home ASAP...as of today it is almost done barn was cleaned out and fence erected, my husband even braved the barn roof to water proof it a bit around the horse stall for the time being. when its done it will look great, its getting there and I know her horse will be quite happy!!
Mid June is my deadline to try to get mine done as I have already picked out and reserved my horse. A magnificent 15. 5 hands high Bay Gelding , He looks so majestic yet so gentle. My friend said that if I don't get my barn done in time I could board my horse there until my barn was done. Which is a super nice thing to do seeing a horse is no small animal. So I am super excited!!

I was going to take riding lessons at a local ranch in town, but I've been hearing a lot of negative things so I am not sure if I want to still take my riding lessons there. I guess what I really don't want is the instructor speaking out of term to me or my daughter and then having to blow my top at her. So I will have to think about this one for sure before I decide about where I want to go for riding lessons.

On a happy note....

my baby chicks arrived yesterday, 20 beautiful and fluffy chicks. soon enough they will be laying more eggs that I can deal with...so good deal for some of my friends that is for sure!!!

well I think I will be back more often, at least now that my husband is working and I will keep updating on the farm as we work on it.

Ema

No comments:

Post a Comment