Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Colours??!!

So this week I have a window of only 4 days to get the barn started. My husband already took the exterior walls off the one side of the barn so we can replace them with new wood etc.. I really wanted to leave it natural but to be cost effective I really can't. It would be so great is I could just pop up tree slabs and then stain them. Tree slabs are the left over exterior boards of a tree that are left over after they make lumber, I like the the 6  by 10 feet long pieces, as they look amazing and I guess its a way of recycling. Down south you can get packages of them for nearly nothing, but in a  forestry community that is next to impossible. I would be lucky if I could even get a single one for 5 dollars. The cheapest way for me to finish my barn is to actually go with OSB boards all around. So I got this idea. Instead of sinking the money into buying weatherproofing plastic and then more siding, which I actually must admit I hate siding...so instead of sinking another 2000 on those materials, I thought I will put the OSB boards up and then buy a solid stain for the wood. It will waterproof it and provide a bit of colour to the property. But what Colour....one friend tells me I should go hunter green. Every barn up here seems to be that colour, hunter green with a tin roof and white trim all around. I was thinking barn red, with white trim and a black roof, you know... the classic barn look. but then I was looking at solid stain and there are soo many other colours that would look so nice. So I am stumped...what colour would you pick?????

I figured once I get the colour picked out I need to add the trim around to give it a finished and more rounded look. I haven't settled on whether I want actual exterior trim or whether I want to get smaller slabs, stain them white and then put them up. One thing at a a time I suppose.
Thursday is the first day my husband has off, and there is soo much to do before the delivery truck gets here with our wood.
Before we even set foot near the barn the grass all around the buildings need to be cut. Too many black flies and mosquitoes to deal with while outside so a trimmed lawn will keep some of them away. then we have to actually clean the inside of the barn, as my lovely husband has been using it as storage. But not neat storage!!! My husband is notorious for bringing tools and useless things in the house and then leaving it around until I get tired of tripping over it which I usually then leave it next to the garbage can and nicely tell him if he doesn't find a proper spot for it it will have to go in the trash... to my dismay I walked in the barn other day to find that every single thing I have given him in the last 8 months to take out of the house and find a proper home has found a place on the barn floor. and I mean everything. So the clean up will have to be thorough because he piled tools on top of useless items that need to be going to the dump. I have no real clue as to why he keeps everything, but I am thankful he is not overly obsessed with keeping things of no use.

I am excited to start the barn but certainly not looking forward to cleaning up that big mess. :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment